Dhokla is very famous Gujrati (Indian State) snack made from fermented batter of Gram Flour and sometimes rice which is cooked with steam and tampered with Mustard seeds which is often eaten as a snack or side item and sometimes often served as a main course. It is a very spongy and light snack served with mint chutney.
- 3/4 cup Mustard oil
- 5-6 De-seeded Green Chillies (slit in half Lengthwise)
- 3 Tbsp Mustard Seeds
- 8-10 Curry Leaves
– Mix Gram flour, Semolina and yogurt in a bowl and mix it well so that no lumbs are formed.
- Add oil , salt , Turmeric powder and mix it well and keep the batter undisturbed for 10 minutes.
-The consistency of the batter should be as shown below in the picture.
- Add Baking soda/Eno to the batter , mix it immediately and transfer it in a Aluminium container. Put the container in the steamer immediately and steam it for 20-25 minutes.
- Check the product by putting a clean knife into the Dhokla, if the knife comes out clean, that means it is cooked otherwise steam it for some more time.
- Once the Dhokla sponge is ready, demould it and cut into square pieces as shown below.
–Tamper the cut pieces with Mustard seeds , Green Chillies and Curry Leaves
PROCEDURE FOR TAMPERING:
-Heat the mustard oil and add mustard seeds to it. Once the mustard seeds cracks out, add green chillies and curry leaves to it. Add the dhokla pieces to the Tamper, mix it gently and remove it from the Flame
- Serve it with Mint Chutney
DISCLAIMER: Steaming should be done properly otherwise the Dhokla will not cook evenly.